Saturday, May 15, 2010

Hungry Timeshare Fiends

Yesterday morning I was awakened by the phone at 7:30 am. I am retired. I sleep later.
"Mrs. Walker?"
"This is she," I answered still full of sleepiness. "What is it?" I asked, eager to return to dreamland.
"We would like to speak to you about your timeshare."
"What about it? Do you realize what time it is?"
"Yes indeed, I do Mrs. Walker. It is time for you to unload that timeshare."
"Who are you?"
"I am someone who can help you get rid of your timeshare."
"I don't have any money to give you."
"You do not have to give me any money until after closing."
"Closing. So what do I get out of this?"
"Peace of mind that you don't own the property anymore."
"Wait a minute. You mean that you will sell my timeshare and I will get nothing. No money. Just peace of mind. Are you crazy?"
"No I am not crazy. I can help you get rid of your timeshare with only the closing costs."
"Now why would I say yes to that? I could just abandon it and never deal with it again in that case it would be free."
"You can't do that. It is going to cost you money to get rid of it any way you go. It is of no use to you now anyway."
"What is wrong with you? Don't call my house anymore."

I was very upset and aangry. It is very annoying to be called before 9am with such a ridiculous offer. My main question is this. Does anyone fall for this kind of scam? So who would get the timeshare? Someone obviously benefits from that and that someone is definitely not me. I get call similiar to this nearly everyday. This one is an extreme example so it was especially annoying.

Timeshare owners beware: The industry has changed a lot over the past few years. It also seems to be in a lot of trouble as the economy changes, but there is no reason for us to become victims to predators just waiting for us to become desperate. Who knows if any of these companies that promise to relieve us of our properties is legitimate? I know that I can name 4 that I have dealt with and a few more for which friends have shared information. None of them have ever rented or sold any properties for us. They have ALL taken the up front money and never done a single thing to earn it.

Are all of them scam artists? Only persons who have used the services can tell you for sure. Website testimonials are not reliable. Rely only on people you know and trust. The above description of an early morning phone call demonstrates to what lengths Timeshare Resellers or unloaders are willing to go. I object to the fact that they even have access to the information that I even own timeshares. Why is this public information? Are our timeshare companies selling this information to third parties without our knowledge or permission? Some food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment